Tuesday, October 20, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine: Where Are You?

So the H1N1 virus has had me worried this year. I was pregnant when the first outbreak happened in April and learned that 1) this thing was highly contagious, 2) lots of people had it, and 3) pregnant people were dying from it. So I bought a ton of Purell and lathered myself up. I smelled like rubbing alcohol for months--not quite the same as my Tommy Girl perfume. One of the worst things about the April outbreak is that it caused me to miss the bachelorette party I was hosting for one of my best friends in Park City, UT. My OB said the trip was a no go. Big bummer.

Well, now we are into seasonal flu season, and here I am again worried about this virus since we have a newborn. The CDC has alerted us all to how terrible the outbreak could be and strongly advises that everyone get vaccinated. But have you tried calling places to see if they have the vaccine? Everywhere I have called has said "well, we ordered some but we're not really sure when we'll get it or what form it will be in...actually, we are completely clueless about this topic all together." Hmmm...seems like there is a logistics issue here.

So, I was relieved to learn that Olivia's pediatrician finally received some of the vaccine, and today she got her first dose (a shot this time). She did great--hardly any tears and really excited about the sticker and sucker that followed. Now, if I could just find some for Sean and I, that would make me feel better about the plane trip we are taking to Texas in 2 weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment